What should I do if my parents are unwilling to complete the FAFSA?


My parents are unwilling to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). I cannot afford to pay for college by myself. What should I do?


If your parents refuse to file the FAFSA, you should talk with your college’s financial aid administrator about the circumstances surrounding your parents’ unwillingness to complete the form. Sometimes, financial aid administrators are able to address the parental concerns and convince them to complete the form. 

If you don't qualify for a dependency override but are unable to provide parental information because your parents refuse to complete the FAFSA (and have cut off all financial support), the college’s financial aid administrator can allow you to borrow from Direct Unsubsidized Loans program. However, you won't be eligible for other forms of federal student aid, such as the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Perkins Loan, Direct Subsidized Loan, and Federal Work-Study

Otherwise, the only other option is to wait until you reach age 24 and reapply for financial aid as an independent student.