First Bachelor's Degree


The Ultimate Guide to the FAFSA

Take the guesswork out of filing the FAFSA.

Get my ebook now 

Students who have already earned or completed the requirements for a Bachelor’s degree are ineligible to receive certain forms of federal student aid, such as the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), and Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH Grant). Students with a prior Bachelor’s degree are still eligible for Federal Work-Study, Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Stafford Loans and Federal PLUS Loans.

Many private scholarships and state grant programs are also limited to the first Bachelor’s degree.

Students who are double-majoring should be careful to avoid completing the requirements for either Bachelor’s degree until the last academic term of their program. Otherwise, they may lose eligibility for some forms of financial aid after satisfying the requirements for the first Bachelor’s degree.

Students who are enrolled in a post-baccalaureate program to obtain a teaching certificate or state license required for employment as an elementary or secondary school teacher are still considered undergraduate students for the TEACH and Federal Pell grant programs.

Students who will be pursuing a graduate (e.g., Master’s or Ph.D.) or a professional degree (e.g., MD, JD, LLB or MBA) during the 2019-2020 academic year should answer “Yes” to this question even if they have not yet received a Bachelor’s degree.

Students who are enrolled in dual-degree programs that award a graduate or professional degree in addition to a Bachelor’s degree are considered to be undergraduate students for at least the first three years of the program. Please consult with the college about how to complete this FAFSA question in the fourth and subsequent years of the program.

Students who have received Bachelor’s degrees from unaccredited schools, including a diploma mills, are ineligible for the Federal Pell Grant.

Students who have received a Bachelor’s degree from a foreign school are ineligible for the Federal Pell Grant unless the student demonstrates to the financial aid administrator’s satisfaction that the foreign degree is not the equivalent of a Bachelor’s degree awarded by a U.S. college or university.