The Ultimate Guide to the FAFSA

Take the guesswork out of filing the FAFSA.

Get my ebook now 

The student should indicate his or her High School Completion Status as of the beginning of the 2018-2019 school year on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Select the appropriate high school completion status:

  • High school diploma
  • GED certificate or state equivalent test
  • Home schooled
  • None of the above

Students who have not earned (or will not earn) a high school equivalency status, should select “None of the above.”

Note that passing an ability-to-benefit test or completing 6 college credits is also a valid alternative to a high school diploma.

Students who are still enrolled in an elementary or secondary school are not eligible for federal student aid funds. For example, students who are participating in dual enrollment programs, where the student is simultaneously enrolled in high school and an otherwise eligible college program, are not eligible for federal student aid. Students who are taking Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB) or College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) classes are also not eligible for federal student aid.