Skip Navigation
10K scholarship giveaway!
Register for ScholarshipPoints for your chance to win.
Sign Up Now
After Navigation

Military Articles

Military service academies, such as the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, and the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, New York, provide a high-quality college education leading to a Bachelor's degree. Admission requires a letter of recommendation from a member of Congress. Graduates are commissioned as officers in the associated branch of the U.S. Armed Forces.

Military families are often forced to relocate frequently. This can interfere with their obtaining a college education. The Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges and the Community College of the Air Force help members of the military and their families obtain college degrees despite their frequent relocations.

Military educational assistance programs include REAP, VEAP and DEA. They provide up to 36 months of educational benefits to members of the Reserves and National Guard, up to 36 months of educational benefits to veterans and up to 45 months of educational benefits to dependents of veterans who died or were totally and permanently disabled while on active duty or because of a service-related condition.

The Montgomery GI Bill and the Post-9/11 GI Bill provide members of the U.S. Armed Forces with up to 36 months of education benefits to help pay for college.

The Higher Education Relief Opportunities for Students Act of 2003 provides financial and administrative relief for active-duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces as well as people who are affected by a disaster area, war, military operation or national emergency. The relief includes waivers of several requirements relating to federal student financial aid.

College scholarships are available from several private organizations to help veterans and their dependents pay for a college education.

College students who are interested in becoming a commissioned officer of the U.S. Armed Forces can obtain scholarships through the Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) to help them pay for school. They take military science courses in addition to the courses required by their academic major, drill throughout the academic year and train full-time during the summer.

Tuition Assistance pays for tuition and required fees for active-duty enlisted servicemembers to takes classes at colleges and universities during their off-duty time. Tuition Assistance may sometimes be combined with other GI Bill benefits.

Under the Yellow Ribbon program, participating colleges agree to provide part of the difference between a servicemember's Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits and the college's actual tuition and fees. The Veterans Administration (VA) matches the college's contribution.