Scholarships, like grants, are a form of gift aid. Gift aid is free money that does not need to be repaid. Free scholarships are the best type of student financial aid because they reduce the net price of college.
Never pay a fee to apply for free scholarships. Never invest more than a postage stamp to find out information about scholarships or to apply for a scholarship.
Although the terms “scholarship” and “grant” are often used interchangeably, in most cases, scholarships are awarded based on merit and grants are awarded based on demonstrated financial need.
Be sure to check out some of the best tips for winning scholarships.
Lists of Scholarships
There are also several specialized lists of scholarships.
The Best Scholarships
- Most Prestigious Scholarships
- Most Generous Scholarships
- Most Popular Scholarships
- Academic Scholarships
- Less Competitive Scholarships
- Easy Scholarships
Scholarships for Specific Activities or Interests
- Quirky and Unusual Scholarships
- Athletic Scholarships
- Nursing Scholarships
- Shopping Scholarships
- Community College Scholarships and Transfer Scholarships
- Scholarships for Journalists and Reporters
- Video Scholarships
Scholarships for Specific Populations
- International Scholarships
- Scholarships for Students Under Age 13
- Autism Scholarships
- Cancer Scholarships
- Best Hispanic and Latino Scholarships (English) and Las Mejores Becas para Estudiantes Hispanos y Latinos (Spanish)
- Scholarships for African-American Students
- Scholarships for Minority Students
- Scholarships for Undocumented Students
- Scholarships for LGBT Students
- Scholarships for First-Generation College Students
- Scholarships for Women
There are a few cautions about scholarships:
- Ask each college for a copy of its outside scholarship policy to find out how the college adjusts other aid when a student wins a private scholarship. How the college displaces a private scholarship by reducing its own financial aid funds (loans and work vs. grants) can affect the net price students and their families pay for college.
- Beware of scholarship scams. If you have to pay money to get money, it’s probably a scam.
- All or part of a private scholarship may be considered taxable income. Learn about the tax treatment of scholarships.
Win Free Scholarships at ScholarshipPoints.com
Edvisors’ ScholarshipPoints program offers free college scholarships and scholarship contests for members. Joining is fast and easy. Members earn points by taking surveys, registering for scholarships, reading blog posts, checking out products, and other free activities. The points may be used to enter into weekly, monthly and quarterly drawings for scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $10,000 and more. Check out the scholarship winners’ wall to learn about the latest scholarship winners.
College Scholarship Search Service
Edvisors’ StudentScholarshipSearch.com is a sophisticated, yet easy-to-use, college scholarship matching service – available for free for everyone.
Advantages of using StudentScholarshipSearch.com:
- Billions of dollars in scholarships listed
- No registration requirement to perform basic scholarship searches
- Short registration form sets up scholarship matching function
- Email notifications and RSS feeds make it easy to keep up with the latest scholarships
- Database screened to omit scholarships that charge application fees or are no longer available
- Scholarships grouped by major, interest, career, ethnicity, military, religion, sport, and state for easy navigation