Skip Navigation
School Search Form
After Navigation
Home Ask Student Aid FAQ Who Are the Lenders for Federal Student Loans

Who Are the Lenders for Federal Student Loans

Federal student loans come from the federal government – U.S. Department of Education. While you may have a loan servicer that is working with the government to accept payments and manage the loan, the loan itself is from the government.

To apply for a federal student loan simply submit your FAFSA® (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to see what types of federal aid you qualify for. You may be surprised with grants or scholarships, in addition to being offered either or both subsidized and unsubsidized loans from the federal government to help pay for college.  Any financial aid awarded to you via the FAFSA will be based upon the information you provided on your FAFSA.  If you still need money after exhausting all your federal options, you can always apply for private student loans to fill in any financial gaps that remain.

MORE>>>How to Get a Student Loan