Skip Navigation
Edvisors Transparent star logo
Search Box Form
Search Box Form
After Navigation
Home Ask Student Aid FAQ How do I get a student loan?

How do I get a student loan?

Students must file the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) before applying for federal student loans, like Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans, or a federal parent loans, like the Parent PLUS Loan. Students do not need to file the FAFSA, however, to get a private student loan or a private parent loan.

Find & Compare Private Student Loans for Your School:
Find Loans

Eligibility for the PLUS Loan, private student loans, and private parent loans depends on the borrower’s credit history and the credit history of the cosigner or endorser, if any. (Eligibility for Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans, however, does not depend on the borrower’s credit.) Borrowers and cosigners should get a free copy of their credit history from and correct any errors before applying for these loans.

The first step in getting student loans is to apply for federal student loans. Students should always borrow federal first, because federal student loans are cheaper, more available and have better repayment terms. If the federal student loans do not provide enough money, then the student and parents can consider applying for a Parent PLUS Loan, a private student loan or a private parent loan. The private student and parent loans may be lower cost, but don’t necessarily offer the same benefits as Parent PLUS Loans.

How to Apply for a Student Loan

  1. File the FAFSA (new students) or Renewal FAFSA (returning students) for free at
  2. After filing the FAFSA, the student may receive a financial aid award letter from the college’s financial aid office by mail or email. The award letter will summarize the need-based financial aid available to the student, which may include the Direct Subsidized Loan.
  3. Some award letters may also provide information about non-need-based loans, such as the Direct Unsubsidized Loan, Parent PLUS Loan, private student loans, and private parent loans. The loan amounts listed are suggestions, not requirements. Borrow only what you need, not as much as you can.
  4. Contact the college’s financial aid office to accept the financial aid package, including the Direct Subsidized Loan (if any) and the Direct Unsubsidized Loan (if needed).
  5. First-time student borrowers will need to sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) to obtain federal student loans.
  6. If parents are interested in federal parent loans, they will also need to sign a MPN. Parent PLUS Loans are obtained through the college’s financial aid office.
  7. To get a private student loan or private parent loan, contact lenders through web sites like
  8. After the college financial aid office receives the loan money from the lenders, they will disburse the funds to the student’s account (usually once per academic term, with no disbursement equal to more than half the net loan proceeds).
  9. The money in the student’s account is first applied to charges for tuition and fees. If the student is living in college-controlled housing, the money will also be applied to room and board charges. Any remaining credit balance may be “refunded” to the student. 
We recently updated our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Please read them before using our website. Your continued use of our Sites following the posting of these changes to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use will mean you accept those changes. ×