How do I apply for a Federal Parent PLUS Loan?

The Federal Parent PLUS loan application process can vary from school to school. In some cases, parents can apply online through, while other schools may require the parent to start the application process through their own system or on paper. To find out how the process will work for you, you should contact the financial aid office at your student’s institution.

If your school directs you to use, find out how to apply for the Federal Parent PLUS loan below.

Application Process

Step 1: Submit the FAFSA

Families must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to apply for the Federal PLUS loan. It’s always a good idea to submit the FAFSA anyway, as your child may be eligible for other grants or federal student loans.

Note that in situations of divorce, either parent (or both) may apply for the Federal Parent PLUS loan. It does not have to be the parent who completed the FAFSA.

Step 2: Request the Loan through

After signing in to using your (not your student’s) Federal Student Aid PIN, select the "Request a PLUS Loan" option and follow the instructions.

Step 3: Sign the Master Promissory Note (MPN)

The same parent who completes the Federal PLUS Loan Request must sign the MPN before aid can be disbursed. The MPN is also available at

Note that an MPN is good for 10 years, so you may only need to sign this on the first application. However, each subsequent Federal PLUS loan will initiate a new credit check.

In the case where two different parents would like to apply for Federal PLUS loans, each must complete this application process separately. If requesting funds in the same year for the same student, the total combined amount may not exceed the student’s Cost of Attendance.

PLUS Loan Application Tutorial

For additional help completing the Parent PLUS application online, check out this helpful video from the University of Colorado Boulder.

How to Cancel a Federal PLUS Loan

If you wish to cancel all or part of your Federal PLUS loan, you can do so by contacting the school’s financial aid office. If the funds have already been disbursed, you may still be able to cancel the funds within a certain timeframe and should check with the school for more information.

Federal PLUS Loan Refunds

In cases where the student’s account has a credit balance, parents have the option to accept the refund or have the refund issued to the student. You can specify the recipient of leftover funds during the application process, or contact the school to update this.